gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
11000 Posts in 1507 Topics by 1274 Members - Latest Member: kiras April 23, 2014, 06:48:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Expansion Pre-order Rants go here (come on Wren, ya know ya wanna):  (Read 6523 times)
Brasse
Innkeeper
Administrator
Guru or Village Idiot

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:52:26 AM »

Wren was in MSN going on about being altogether too nice in my commentary on today's comic on Pre-Orders.
She has a rant bubbling up in her that just needs... a teeny... little... poke...

STAND BACK EVERYONE!

;-)#

(and if that doesn't get her venting here, I don't know what will)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:04:46 AM by Brasse » Logged

Tha pen may be mightier than tha sword - but not me axe!
Gildan
InnMates
I live here

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:41:39 AM »

I have a rant.  and my name is not Wren.  This is mostly aimed at EQ2 since i have no comments on LoTRO, and I am baffled at how people will pay 40 bucks to Blizzard to get any kind of new content at all.

Why do they have different bonus in game items depending on where you purchase it?  I'm sorta ok (but not completely as seen further down) with the physical item that is for instore purchases only.  I mean it costs money to ship some silly knickknack most of us would use to collect dust in some out of way place - like under our beds.  But to have different in game percs is just plain annoying.  A bear mount would be kinda cool.  But I will not not suffer through Best Best, waste a gallon of gas, and possibly not even get it in store (I've preorderd games before only for the game to not even be in stock when I arrived - last time I ever did business with EB).

In the grand scheme of things, this is not even close to the worst preorder bonuses though.  I remember some games selling multiple different box games with random rewards for preorder.  What type of crap is that?  I might as well buy a random bag of crap.

What really bugs me though, is why am I paying the same amount for an electronic download as a store bought boxed version (tax excluded).  To get a game in stores, Sony has to produce the CD/DVD, package it, potentially provide documentation, ship it, then pay for it to be on shelves.  For me to download it, Sony has to have a small uptick in data transfers and a little bit of drive space.  I know which one costs them more, so why am I paying the same for what costs them less and getting less for it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:47:51 AM by Gildan » Logged
Gildan
InnMates
I live here

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »

Total aside -  I still use a mouse pad.  Optical mice don't work too well on some surfaces.

This is my understanding on the value of getting games on shelves.  It's basically another way to advertise to a very targeted audience.  Who browses the gaming aisles - gamers and people buying gifts for gamers.  Having the boxes on shelves (which does cost money), makes the games visible.  A gamer sees it and ideally thinks - "Hmm, maybe I'll give that game a try".  Or almost as good, someone who used to play will see it, and go "Oh yeah, that game was a lot of fun, I see they have added a lot of new stuff, I should check it out."

Now as to why on earth Blizzard would not release the game electronically at the same time as physically, I just have no clue.  Maybe they are worried about 8-10 million people downloading it all at once (this make no sense unless they dropped the bittorrent model for distribution)?  Or maybe they are getting paid by retailers for this to get more in store traffic?  I'm sure it is some evil nefarious reason that makes them money though.
Brasse
Innkeeper
Administrator
Guru or Village Idiot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:19:40 PM »

Blizzard may well fear the meelions downloading it at once... remember, WoW still maintains the world's most craptacular patching system. It has always sucked and never been replaced. It would probably asplode with an expansion.

;-)#

CaptainBoots
Patron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 07:39:31 PM »

Generally, Gildan, what I hear is that by the time a CD is burned enough times and boxes are printed enough times, that the cost is minimal when spread out across the entire run. I've never heard how much the money is cut between middle-men on the way to the store, though. It's seemed generally minimal as far as the actual materials/shipping go though.

It'd be nice if they offered some sort of a small discount since we aren't dealing with a clerk and a physical location that has rent, but I guess someone did have to develop the cart system, downloader, and webpages .. and there are servers dedicated to the whole mess.

I sometimes ponder the online music model, but I think in that case we were just too used to hugely overpriced media. Smiley Maybe I'm wrong, but that's generally been my thoughts on it.
Cykophrog
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »

1) Brasse u were at SOE Fan Faire, you get a free TSO expansion Tongue
2) I'm kinda annoyed that I distinctly remember Brenlo saying that the free digital downloads that the EQ and EQ2 players were getting for attending Fan Faire would include "everything that comes in the retail box".  Now I guess the DD gets a house item (a void beast in a jar) and the retail gets the dire bear mount/pet but NOT the house item.  Personally, I'd MUCH rather get a cool dire bear mout/pet that levels up with your character level available for EVERY TOON for your account than a house item so I'm kinda annoyed that they told the Fan Faire folks that since we're getting a free DD we should be happy to get the house item (not in so many words but they've basically "forgotten" any FF promises other then a free expansion).  I cant rant TOO hard I guess since I am getting something for free, but if I wasnt getting it for free I'd get the retail box, and get my dire bear mount, and I just cant justify paying $40 for just a dire bear mount since i'm getting the expansion anyway.

70 Inquisitor / 70 Jeweler of Iconoclast on Permafrost (EQII)
Calain
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »

Actually it is still even more complex for EQ2, but at least after >10 pages of bugging Kiara we now have all information together:

Digital Download from SOE-Store (now also with Global Collect):
- Void Pet for your house  (maybe. only if you preorder)
- LON pic

Retail Box anywhere else (anytime):
- Dire Bear mount
- LON pic

Limited Edition of the Retail (anytime): (costs 5 bugs more)
- pewter Dire Bear
- Dire Bear mount
- LON pic

At least that is how it is in Germany. So if you want it, make sure that the pewter Dire Bear is mentioned in the confirmation mail.   Roll Eyes
Carynne
InnMates
I live here

Iron Chef Crushbone!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 05:42:47 AM »

A void beast in a jar?

Really??? 

Undecided   Blech.

I usually do the DD but I may have to go the other route this time, even though I'm not really too psyched about a big ugly bear either.

Who do we become, without knowing where we started from?
Brasse
Innkeeper
Administrator
Guru or Village Idiot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 06:36:10 AM »

Heya Cykophrog...
I have two accounts, and a husband, which means three in total.
I'll use the free copy for my secondary, and we are buying the retail version for primary accounts.

I suspect one of the things Wren wanted to rant about was the very fact that you have to "harrass" someone for SIX DAYS in a forum to get a straight answer. It simply should not be this complicated!

...but it always is.

Maybe the skinflints at WoW had the right idea after all.

In closing... there is no way anyone could imagine that a stationary Void Beast house pet can even begin to compare to a way cool Dire Bear mount. And the digital download should be cheaper. Distribution is very pricy.

;-)#
Brasse

Rijacki
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 06:55:28 AM »

EQ2:

From the pictures, I actually like the house item better than the dire bear. 

The bear looks an awful lot like the dire wolf which looks.. well.. I have him for one of my characters though I've done the quest on others.  I don't think he's all that wonderful.  The runspeed isn't really all that great until you hit 80 -and- there are so many different mount options, some free or relatively easy quest, which have other buffs that I'm not terribly impressed.  And I shouldn't be 'cause the mount from the box shouldn't outright replace any in-game obtained mount.

But... I do want one of those figureens *laugh*.  I am a sucker for dust collectors. 

I have 2 accounts, my boyfriend has 2 accounts, we both went to Fan Faire. He hasn't decided if he wants the retail box for his 2nd account or just the digital.  I'll be ordering the pre-order retail this morning 'cause I'm not waiting any more for him to decide Smiley

Oh.. and this is much better than in the days of an EQ1 expansion (PoP?) with every retail box coming with a cheesy plastic Firiona Vie and no digital download option... I had 2 accounts at that time and my then boyfriend had 1 or 2.  We had Firiona Vie's all over the place (I still actually have one *laugh*)
Wren
Guru or Village Idiot

I have purple hair, and you don't.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 07:24:42 AM »

Retail Box anywhere else (anytime):
- Dire Bear mount
- LON pic

Limited Edition of the Retail (anytime): (costs 5 bugs more)
- pewter Dire Bear
- Dire Bear mount
- LON pic

That is so not the case here. SOE Marketing must have a better grasp on things in Germany. Here, I am willing to bet that if you go into most brick-and-mortar retail stores, you will likely not have a problem pre-ordering the package. However, if you try to get any information about gifts with purchase from one of these places, you are S.O.L. You get the blank stare, then the clerk will look at their monitor for a minute or so before declaring that they don't have any information on that. There are MANY stores that sell computer games, and SOE has not specified which ones actually have the bonus.

I went to a Game Crazy (though in the past I've shopped at the very hateful EB and Game Stop). The clerk mentioned a 'collector's edition', which I supposed (out loud, to the clerk) that maybe THAT has the pre-order goodies. Then he said, "no, we used to have it, but we don't have it any more." He was unable to tell me what it was, which means maybe that is the only way to get the goodies at that store, and now they are SOLD OUT. Who knows? I don't know. The Game Crazy employee doesn't know. And SOE doesn't appear to know. Or maybe they DO, but they just don't *care*.

If you are going to promote a gift with your pre-order, then you need to make damn sure that the stores that carry your product KNOW about it. Then, if you only want to have the goodies available through certain stores (maybe only the larger chains), YOU NEED TO SPECIFY THAT ON THE WEB SITE THAT PROMOTES YOUR PRE-ORDER.

SOE has not done this. The vague "retail stores" could mean both online and land-based. It could mean the store your Uncle Louie runs or it could mean EB Games ONLY, or something in between. WHO REALLY KNOWS?Huh?

After this experience, I ranted to Bhinder about the inane process. She agreed (much more vociferously than in the comic comment) and told me that she ordered it online, through the evil EB Games, and the ordering page mentioned the pewter item as well as the in-game mount. That seemed like progress to me, and possibly more likely that the pre-order gift would actually arrive, since they talk about it. This made me nervous that I was not going to get the goodies from my local Game Crazy. Note I had printed out the info from the SOE marketing page that mentioned what a customer would get from a 'retail' store, but that doesn't help.

So I went to the online EB Games site too. After typing in Shadow Odyssey, I found one listing, which made no mention of any gifts with your pre-order. I griped more to Bhinder. She gave me the Magical URL of Correctness, which I don't know (and don't care) how she got it. This URL talked about the goodies, and I figured it was a safer bet than not knowing, so I ordered it there. Along with paying $10 for express shipping, which STILL did not guarantee it would arrive on the 18th, since the web site told me it would need one day for processing and one day for shipping. SHEESH.

It should not be this difficult, at all. Hell, I should not even be forced to buy the stupid retail version because of the pre-order item. Sony should let the CUSTOMER decide a) how they want to buy it, digital or let's-see-how-much-time-money-trees-and-gas-we-can-waste retail version  and b) they should let the customer decide which pre-order gift they want. I am fine with only the retail people getting the stupid crap that sits around collecting dust. I would much, much, prefer the DIGITAL VERSION, with the MOUNT. And hell yes, that version should be cheaper. HELLOOOOOO??? *knocks on SOE's forehead*

Every freaking expansion pack it's the same issue. You'd think SOE would have learned from that time the retail goodies got screwed up and they ended up giving EVERYTHING to EVERYONE that pre-ordered anyway. Geeze. Each time, the pet/gift/goodie that *I* want ends up being the "retail" version, which clearly needs some clarification.

Stop the madness, please.

wren

I said don't ask no stupid questions, and I won't send you away. If you want to talk fishin', well I guess that'll be okay.
AmAvocet
Patron

Carpe Jugulum (Silverlode)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »

Having recently lost my job and been reduced to working part-time, making half of what I need to live on, I wanted to go for the inexpensive digital download for the LotRO expansion.  Unfortunately, Turbine seems to have some difficulty with the tax laws here in Washington, so it's not available to us (or to Texans).  As long as I have to pay for the full version, I decided to spring for the Collector's Edition.  We wants our birthday present, Precious!

Avoin, Avodoc, Avodir, Avowulf, Avorond, Avorin, Avoborn, Avogar, & Avowald
(all in Carpe Jugulum on Silverlode)
Brasse
Innkeeper
Administrator
Guru or Village Idiot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 09:43:22 AM »

Hahahaha, AmAvocet!
Perfect gamer logic: I can't afford the retail version, so I was gonna get the digital version, but I can't get that, so I'ma get da COLLECTOR'S EDITION.

Hahahahahahhahhahaha
Silly bugger.
;-)#

ps. In no way insulting your intelligence, my friend... just your rationale. =P

Kwee
InnMates
I live here

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me if many game companies make arrangements with retailers that they will not offer digital downloads of releases for less $ than retail.  The game companies want their titles on shelves and the retailers don't want to be at an instant price disadvantage.

Granted, in-box goodies can offset the price difference.  But if I'm a retailer dealing with hundreds of titles, how do I know the "uber mount of malice" in the box offsets any price difference?  No, I'd rather know I'm not competing with a lower-priced, more convenient digital download.

Brasse, perhaps you could ask about this in one of your next interviews or at the next SOE junket for media folks?
Cykophrog
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 10:02:43 PM »

Heya Cykophrog...
I have two accounts, and a husband, which means three in total.
I'll use the free copy for my secondary, and we are buying the retail version for primary accounts.

Bah, I hadnt figured on you having 3 accounts... cant you just give them a 5-Beard rating and get 2 more for free?

And I Totally agree with Wren, give me the DD, even at full price, but give me the OPTION to buy the mount. IMO you cannot compare a dire bear mount that at low levels is a cute baby bear pet, then as you level he gets meaner looking, armored, faster, and gives more buffs, and try to compare that to a void beast in a jar? That void beast better be a way to dispose of ... accidental ... corpses or something. As for the DD being full price, yYou'd figure they'd give us let's say 50% of w/e they are saving on distribution as a price saving.. ie: they save $10 distribution we get $5 off and they are still ahead $5

70 Inquisitor / 70 Jeweler of Iconoclast on Permafrost (EQII)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx