gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
11000 Posts in 1507 Topics by 1274 Members - Latest Member: kiras April 24, 2014, 02:23:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: If "Scientists" Want to Study Gamers....  (Read 979 times)
Esri
InnMates
I live here

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2009, 05:38:45 AM »

.... then why don't they do studies on a large enough sample size to be scientifically valid and, for goodness sake, differentiate between cause and effect and "pre-existing conditions".  This "study" is a load of manure.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32463904/ns/technology_and_science-games/wid/11915829&GT1=40006

Please note the noted medical authority who says that video games are "imitation play-like activities".....  I don't disagree that I, and most of us, gamers are not, need more physical activity, but does he consider board games, cards, jacks, toys "imitation play-like activities"?

Jeez.

Life is hard.  It's harder when you are stupid.
Quinatan
InnMates
Guru or Village Idiot

I had purple hair once,but the cool-aid washed out

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 06:37:25 AM »

Well I'd want to read the study itself not a media spin on the bits and pieces of the study.  On data point that seems pretty scewed to me is they asked people ages 19-90 and came up with an average video game players age of 35.   When at the bajillion kids under 19 that play video games?
Kaid
InnMates
Guru or Village Idiot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »

Well the first generation of video game players are in their 30s now and there are a lot of us out there. The avg age range of gamers is a lot higher than it once was when it was all teens or younger.

As for the other findings I am pretty sure if you took a similar sample size of non gamers you would find a great many of them would be overweight and depressed as well our nation as a whole is on the plumpy and grumpy side of the scale.
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx